The Freelancing Mama interview series features women who run their own businesses and balance working, often from home, with raising children.
I’m excited to kick off the series with Amethyst Storey!
Amethyst started her business, The Infinite Virtual Assistant, in December 2016 to provide medical billing, claims account management, scheduling, accounting, customer service, project management, troubleshooting, strategic positioning, and other virtual assistant services.
She has over 14 years of experience in customer service, billing, claims, and administrative work.
She is also a single mother of three amazing children, two with special needs.
1) What’s your favorite thing about being an entrepreneur/small business owner?
Amethyst: Setting my own hours and being able to work from anywhere I want and being able to spend more time with my children.
2) How has being a mother affected your business or drive to succeed?
Amethyst: Being a mother has given me more motivation than ever before. I want to spend more time with my kids so I work my business harder since I’m working to support 3 children on my own.
3) What challenges do you face as a mother and entrepreneur/small business owner?
Amethyst: I have 3 children and 2 have special needs so I have to balance raising my kids with working. I currently put in a lot of hours on my business because I’m a startup. I’ve been in business since December 2016 and am trying to build up my clientele.
4) Did becoming a mother change you? How?
Amethyst: Yes, it changed my entire focus in life for the better.
5) What is your favorite thing about being a virtual assistant?
Amethyst: My favorite thing about being a virtual assistant is that I get to help people build their business while earning an income and I get to network with some great people.
6) What’s your favorite thing about working from home/working remotely?
Amethyst: Working from anywhere I choose.
7) What’s the most challenging thing about working from home/working remotely?
Amethyst: Not letting myself get distracted.
8) Which tasks do you enjoy the most?
Amethyst: Graphic design and social media.
9) Which tasks do you dread?
Amethyst: Data Entry. I’m good at it but it bores me. I type at a rate of 85+ words per minute accurately.
10) Who could benefit from having a virtual assistant?
Amethyst: Anyone who has a business and wants to have more time to focus on what they are passionate about, wants to delegate out tasks that they aren’t great at because the right VA can get those tasks completed quicker, and anyone whose business is growing.
11) Why should someone hire a virtual assistant/hire you as a virtual assistant?
Amethyst: I offer a FREE 30 minute consultation to see why your needs are and if we are a fit. You can schedule a call on my website. I also offer package deals to keep my prices down and am flexible on pricing. I work with the client to meet their needs while staying within budget. Most VAs offer 2 revisions for free and I offer up to 5 because I want satisfied clients that will want to refer me to their friends.
12) What advice would you give someone who wants to start a virtual assistant business?
Amethyst: My advice would be to sit down and make a list of the softwares and online skills you have. Narrow it down to find your niche. Decide who your perfect client is. Choose a name for your company. Create a logo for your company. Get yourself out there on social media and network, network, network.
You can connect with Amethyst here:
Contact me if you’d like to be featured in a future interview!